During my time living in Boston (both at HGSE and working here), I want to make sure to do all of the following things (note: thanks to my fellow HGSE students for several of these ideas):
1. Cross-register for a class at the Harvard Business School/Law School/Kennedy School/MIT [1/2 Done: Audited a class at GSAS and MIT] 2. Present a paper at the HGSE Student Research Conference. [Done: 04/12/13] 3. Have lunch/dinner with a professor. [Done: 05/03/13] 4. Attend the Harvard-Yale sports game. [Done: 11/17/12]
5. Play hide-and-seek in a Harvard library.
6. Watch Red Sox at Fenway Park. [Done: 05/24/13]
7. Watch a Celtics game.
8. Catch a theater production (like “Wicked”!) [Done: Vagina Monologues at MIT 2/16/13; Jungle Book: The Musical 09/13/13; One Man, Two Guvnors 09/06/13] 9. Go to a concert in Boston. [Done: 9/8/12. Train @ MixFest 2012 at the Memorial Hatch by the Charles River with TM; Backstreet Boys at the Memorial Hatch in ’13 with MC; The Piano Guys at the Berklee Performance Center with SH in ’13; Zakir Hussain and Shiv Kumar Sharma at Sanders Theater with MH in ’13.]
10. Visit Martha’s vineyard.
11. Write my name somewhere on campus and tell my daughter/son to find it in 2036. [Done: 07/14 with MA]
12. Go sailing on a boat off the coast.
13. See the following museums in Boston: Boston Children’s Museum,
Institute of Contemporary Art, MIT Museum, Museum of Fine Arts, Museum of Science, Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, Museum of Natural History 14. Watch the tree lighting at Boston Common in the winter. [Done: 11/29/12. With DW and SC] 15. Go ice skating at the frog pond. [Done: 1/13/13. J-Term with PG] 16. Take a class/attend a talk by Howard Gardner. [Done: 1/15/13. J-Term lecture series] 17. Get a tour of the Sam Adams Brewery. [Done: 9/15/12. With JM and CA] 18. Try *real* Boston clam chowder. [Done: 05/24/13, while at the Red Sox game–and it was Legal Sea Foods too!] 19. Study in as many different libraries as I can. [Total (6): Lamont, Widener, Gutman, Langdell, HKS Library, Boston Public Library]
20. Visit the “Wonderland” stop on the T. [Done: 07/11/14]
21. Eat a cannoli at Mike’s pastries. [Done: 10/13/13.]
22. Try the following cuisines, which I’ve yet to eat so far:
Vietnamese, Mongolian, Japanese, Ethiopian, Spanish (tapas), Moroccan. [In Progress: Japanese (9/6/12), Korean (9/23/12), Peruvian (10/6/12), Vietnamese (11/11/12), Burmese (2/23/13), Ethiopian (06/04/13), Cambodian (12/18/13), Spanish tapas (01/16/14)]
23. Go to an open-air market.
24. Go to the New England Aquarium. [Done: 9/20/14 with MA]
25. Visit/take a class at/get a tour of/intern at the MIT Media Lab. [Done: 2/7/13. Shopping an MAS class.] 26. Go apple picking. [Done: 10/1/13 – slightly cheating, did it in Chicago]
27. Go to the Lantern Festival at the Forest Hills Cemetery.
28. Go swing dancing in Cambridge. [Done: 10/25/13] 29. Go to an Askwith lecture. [Done: 10/1/12] 30. Order food from someplace after midnight. [Done: 05/09/13, IHOP during finals week… stayed until closing at 4am, oh yeah.]
31. Go kayaking down the Charles River. [Done: 9/28/14 with MA]
32. Go skydiving.
33. Go downhill skiing/snowboarding.
34. Build an epic snow sculpture.
35. Visit 50 different bars in the Boston area. [Done (50): Phoenix Landing, Grendel’s, Daedalus, Border Cafe, Mead Hall, Tommy Doyle’s, The Queen’s Head, John Harvard’s, Tico’s, The Eastern Standard, The Lower Depths, The Met, Citybar, Green Street, O’Leary’s, Solas Pub, Finale, Brick & Mortar, The Field Pub, The Globe, Parish, The Pour House, Back Bay Social Club, Whiskey’s Smokehouse, Barlola, Post 390, Tamo Bar, Tavern Road, Dillon’s, Top of the Hub, Lolita’s Cocina, Zocalo, Harpoon Brewery, Drink, The Cantab Lounge, The Beehive, The Beat Hotel, Coda, Bar 10, The Brahmin, Wink and Nod, Highball, Beantown Pub, The Rattlesnake, Asgard Irish Pub, The Thirsty Scholar, Russell House Tavern, City Bar, Hops N Scotch, The Abbey]
36. Go to Salem for Halloween.
37. Go visit the Cape.
38. Check out the Boston Harbor Islands.
39. Go down the entire Boston Harborwalk.
40. Get a night-time city view from the Prudential Center skywalk. [Done: 12/18/13, only day-time]
41. Climb to the top of the Bunker Hill monument.
42. Ride in the swan boats at the Boston Common.
43. Go stargazing at the Colt Observatory at BU. [Done: 12/11/13]
44. Have a picnic out on Jamaica pond.
45. Go leaf peeping (ie. admiring the fall colors) at the Arnold Arboretum.
46. Go to the Mapparium [Done: 12/17/13]
47. Check out performers at Improv Asylum. [Done: 9/22/14 with MA]
48. Drink at the Thirsty Scholar. [Done: 7/14 with MA]
49. Go on a duck tour.